Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me with my Westside style routine

S

solidj55

I am going to design a Westside mini cycle that most may not agree with but Im going to do it anyway to see how it works for me. I am going to use closegrip bench, closegrip incline, illegal wide grip bench press, and dumbell bench press. I am wanting to do an 8 to 10 week mini cycle. Now the thing is I dont really know for sure what my max is because I havent been able to go heavy for a while. Any ideas on what I should do??? I was thinking of this Monday doing a sort of speed day using something really light that I know for sure wont be too much like 135-165. Then I am going to get a max on Thursday on Bench. Then the next week I will be able to know what to use for my speed work. But Im not sure how I should cycle my ME exercises that I listed above. I was thinking like this:

Week
1- Max on bench(shirted up)
2-closegrip bench press(best single)
3-closegrip bench press(best single)
4-dumbell bench press(2x20)
5-closegrip incline press(best single then best triple)
6-closegrip incline press)best single then best triple)
7-dumbell bench press(2x20)
8-illegal wides(best set of five)
9-illegal wides(best set of five)
10-Max on bench(shirted up)

I know most wont agree with this but I seem to get my best response from these exercises so I want to try a Westside mini cycle with all of them in there. What should I change?

the problem here is that you are doing all full range movements. without floor press and board press i think you're selling yourself short. go 1 week partial range, next week full range or something simillar. and HIT THOSE TRIS!!! good luck!

Well I will be hitting the boards later but I am mainly considering doing this for my RAW bench. It will be a long time before I compete again so I just want to get my raw bench up and this works better for me. I will consider it. By the way I hate floor presses, too awkward a position on my shoulders.

taken from the Q&A...

"7/5/2002 - Finn Colman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found that just ordinary flat bench press seems to be quite good for building my strength on ME day for bench. Do you think this means that it would be a good idea to include 2 weeks of ordinary bench in my ME bench cycle of exercises, as this appears to be a good builder exercise in itself for me?
Thanks,
Finn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finn,
My advice to you on this subject is "If it isn't broke, don't fix it!" What I mean is Dave, Bob, Paul and myself never use the regular bench for ME work. Figure out where you are weak and fix that. It isn't the bench that is stalling, it's something else. What is it? I don't know; you need to figure that out for yourself. Remember, we want you to think for yourself, but also take what those have done before and use it to your advantage. Use our mistakes and failures and apply them. Before I started competing, my raw bench moved up 55lbs. in 4 months from finally figuring out what was weak. It takes time, but it is a great journey.
"

I had posted a routine that was one week full range and one week partial but everyone that replied(except benchmonster) seemed to think it wasnt a good idea to switch every week. And also, why does it seem people are against doing full range movements?? Im not flaming, just asking. If they work then they do Im just confused on this. I know the whole reasoning behind partials and I know they do work but FOR ME I get great results, as far as my raw bench, from doing different types of full range movements as long as I use different grips then I would for my regular bench. I also do partial movements on the boards but I just want to try this because everytime I have used a different full range movement it has increased my raw and shirted max. Just curious about this.

Top Bottom