Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Benching and back?

The LATS of the upper bak assist the most in benching.

The large latissimus dorsi muscles of the upper back give the powerlifter that "wingy" look. The lats start at the armpits and stretch down to the waist. The main function of the lats is to draw the arms back and downward.

Whatch you talk'n bout Wyllis? Sorry couldnt resist!

For you youngins out there that was a line from a 1970's sit com called "Different Strokes".

But seriously the back doesnt just play a small role in benching, i cannot stress to you how important back is. For instance besides making a thick cushion, shortining the stroke. Or even for lower the bar more controlled. Let your arms hang by there side loosly then flex your lats and watch your arms rise. Nothing does that. YOu want a thick wide ass back if you wanna big bench. Fact. Get it strong but i think your better with reps of 6 to 10 in positive failure. I do those one day and on another i do lighter weight pulled to my chest squeezed and slowly relaeasd.

The traps ARE part of your upper back. People always think of the traps as those humps by their shoulders. The traps actually go all the way down to the middle of the back, and are the meatiest between you shoulder blades. Your shoulder blades should be pinched together tightly when you unrack the bar, and should stay that way. This flexes the traps, which allow for padding from the leg drive into your upper back, and raises your body to create a shorter bench stroke.

Traps:

Traps2.JPG

Spatts, you are amazing. That was a cool pic.

How to get your upper back strong for bench? Rows, rows, and rows. If you are not to heavy of body, chins are also good, but when you get heavy of body, you can get some trouble in your armpits where the lat ties in.

4 sets of 10 twice per week with some type of row, or pulldown, in which I lean very far back seems to do the trick. I also do 1 arm dumbell rows from time to time. Which I guess is a type of row.

I have a pretty short bench stroke. Partly because I was born with a pretty big rib cage, but a lot of it is, I am thickly muscled through my upper back, and know how to take advantage of my lats and traps in benching.

B.

Top Bottom