Another floor press question

Posted: 26-Feb-2002 08:06 AM

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Another floor press question within the Strongman & Power Lifting category.

Excerpt: I was wondering if floor presses or board presses would be worth doing on a Smith Machine. Obviously, it does nothing for the stabilizer muscles but would the tri's get enough benefit out it? Plus, in the case of doing board presses on the Smith, you wouldn't have to worry about having spotters around....

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Another floor press question

Members

[Register!]

LinkBack Thread Tools

Question Another floor press question

Old 26-Feb-2002, 08:06 AM   #1

I was wondering if floor presses or board presses would be worth doing on a Smith Machine. Obviously, it does nothing for the stabilizer muscles but would the tri's get enough benefit out it? Plus, in the case of doing board presses on the Smith, you wouldn't have to worry about having spotters around.
Gallery of pete ferguson  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post! Share on Facebook!Twit this!GoogleBookmarks!Reddit! StumbleUpon!SocialBookmarking!

Old 26-Feb-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
Scotland
i always found that when i used to do any pressing exercise on the smith machine that it was really hard to get the groove for the movement. Cause the bar can only travel through a set path, i always found my wrists rolled under the bar too much when i got tired and had to push real hard, or i would push the bar either towards my head or my abs rather than straight up.

Originaly i also found that when doing heavy triples i had a bad tendancy to raise one arm up then the other one.

I gave it away and got into the powerack, setup the bars so you can go heavy without spotters and push it !
Gallery of GR8SCOT  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post! Share on Facebook!Twit this!GoogleBookmarks!Reddit! StumbleUpon!SocialBookmarking!

Old 26-Feb-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
United States
:m The "Smith Machine" should be called the " Machine" It will never make a powerlifter stronger and it can wreck your shoulders. Do the floor press with a real barbell and use a thumbs grip away from the smooth part of the bar.
Gallery of CytoMel  

Totally Agree

Old 26-Feb-2002, 11:37 AM   #4

I agree with Cytomel completely. I've been training westside for quite some time now and have NEVER used a smith machine. Always emulate the actual lift when you train maximum effort even if you change bar grip.
Gallery of jimmydean  

Old 26-Feb-2002, 11:45 AM   #5

Even the guy who invented the thing was too embarassed to use his real name.

What does that tell you?
Gallery of Arioch  

Old 26-Feb-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
United States
Originally posted by Arioch
Even the guy who invented the thing was too embarassed to use his real name.

X
Gallery of Exodus  
Proud Supporter of EliteFitness.com! Click here to upgrade for Unrestricted Search, Live Chat, Full Size Pics, Private Boards, 5000 PM's, and more...

Old 27-Feb-2002, 12:31 AM   #7

I get the drift guys, thanks! BTW, No, I don't use it, but was just wondering.
Gallery of pete ferguson