Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rows in SF 5*5

Lonsdale

When I'm doing my bent over rows in my five by five program, i can get a decent contraction with the lighter sets, ie. the first three sets - thereafter i don't really feel the muscle working. does this mean that i should reduce the weight so i maintain optimal control at all times?

i've been considering doing the first three sets of the rows and then doing three sets of heavyish lat pulldowns, where at least i know i'm def working the back rather than throwing weight around...

You don't need to be conscious of or feel shit. If your back is close to 90 degrees and you aren't generating weird momentum by straightening up with the bar or some crap (i.e. good technique) - when that bar smacks you in the ribs, that's your lats pulling (maybe that's a good mental key, your lat's saying "hey there"). I'm not conscious ofl my traps when I clean, snatch, or deadlift but they certainly do work and result in development.

These exercises should be hard, putting out maximum force and busting your ass makes it hard sometimes to feel and be conscious of little nuances within the muscle - and that's what they are, little nuances, let your technique take care of the muscles and bust your ass. If you are too consumed by hard work have confidence that your muscles won't hold it against you.

And follow the golden rule and don't screw with the exercises until you have some experience in this type of program - I guarantee 90% of the people here wanted to change all kinds of shit before they started, and now when they have the experience and the know-how to make alterations they certainly don't stray far and tend to do almost exactly the same stuff. That's change of mindset brought on by results. If you want your best shot at results don't mess with anything, work hard, and see how you do. Not 'feeling' is an invalid reason to make a substitution.

This board rocks. I love it "I can't feel my lats" and the response is, "you don't need to be conscious of or feeling shit!" LOL Don't go sticking lat pulldowns into the 5x5 unless you've got some real experience w/ it and know what the hell you're doing. I think people--bodybuilders in particular--really like to tinker and play w/ new exercises, new angles, etc., and basically just F programs up left and right. You've got to resist the urge to tweak! LoL

if you keep your back at around 90 degrees, and make the bar go from the floor to your chest/upper abs and at least try to arch your back a little as the bar comes up, your lats have no choice but to do the work.

i think this applies to basically all exercises, just do the movement, get the weight up, and concentrate on getting the weight up and dont worry about how it feels. you dont move weight without the muscles doing the work.

Lonsdale said:
thanks guys, i'll bear that all in mind in my workout today. thanks once again

glennpendlay said:
if you keep your back at around 90 degrees, and make the bar go from the floor to your chest/upper abs and at least try to arch your back a little as the bar comes up, your lats have no choice but to do the work.

i think this applies to basically all exercises, just do the movement, get the weight up, and concentrate on getting the weight up and dont worry about how it feels. you dont move weight without the muscles doing the work.

I dont do my rows from the floor, rather I pick up the bar from the rack and start the movement at around my knees. My question is to you Glenn and others, I have always thought from this positition that the bar should be hitting you in the lower abs around your navel. Is this incorrect?

Protobuilder said:
This board rocks. I love it "I can't feel my lats" and the response is, "you don't need to be conscious of or feeling shit!" LOL Don't go sticking lat pulldowns into the 5x5 unless you've got some real experience w/ it and know what the hell you're doing. I think people--bodybuilders in particular--really like to tinker and play w/ new exercises, new angles, etc., and basically just F programs up left and right. You've got to resist the urge to tweak! LoL
On the contrary, you have to embrace the urge to tweak but resist the urge to do it before you know how to. Having the urge to tweak should lead to the need to know more and this is good.

Top Bottom