Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The BFS Program

Tom Treutlein

The Bigger Faster Stronger Program
First off, this routine is done on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday split. It's pretty simple, and is used nationwide for various sports teams (I believe for highschool, college, and even professional) and has proved quite successful. The routine is done on a 4 week cycle, in which core/compound lifts differ in their rep scheme. The cycle looks like this:

Week 1: 3x3
Week 2: 3x5
Week 3: 5-3-1
Week 4: 10-8-6/4-4-2

The workouts tend to be very short and to the point. Notice, only three working sets, all staying in the fairly low-rep range. The 4th week is done 10-8-6 for Monday and Friday workouts. The Wednesday workout on week four is done 4-4-2. Just in case you don't know, that means 3 sets at 10 reps, 8 reps, then 6 reps. Same goes for the 4-4-2. The higher reps, I guess, are to sort of shock the body. Whether or not that works, I don't know. Some people cut out the fourth week and just cycle the first three, but that's up to you.

You are supposed to preform two core lifts every training day. This is how it should look:

Monday: Flat Bench Press/Squat
Wednesday: Deadlift/Power Clean
Friday: Bench & Squat Variation

On Friday you can do incline or decline bench, and box, front, or hack squats. Whatever you please. The reps are kept lower for deadlifts and cleans. I guess they can be done at higher reps, but I like 'em that way, and it's how the routine was designed.

Now, you can choose any amount of auxillary lifts you wish and place them on whatever days. All auxillary lifts are done in a 2x8 fashion. You would probably put back exercises like Shrugs, Rows, Widegrip Chins on Wednesday. Military Presses on Monday. Closegrip Bench Presses and Curls on Friday. That's just me though. It's a very flexible routine.

The last set of every exercise, be it a core or auxillary lift, is done as a "+" or "plus". This means taking it to failure. If, on the auxillary lifts, you can preform more than 12 reps on your second and final set, you should bump the weight by 5 lbs. the following week. If not, stick with that weight. During the 4 week cycle, the auxillary lifts keep the same set/rep scheme.

Your core lifts should be increasing every week. Mine have been for the past 12 weeks now. Very nice gains I've had so far. The workouts take, at most, an hour. Usually less but that's the highest mine have gone.

Rest Time
I usually rest 1m30s between auxillary, 2m for benches, and 2m30s-3m for squats, deadlifts, and cleans.

Warm-ups
I warm-up for the core lifts only. My body is fine for the rest of the workout after that, but it's up to you. I don't think more than 2 warm-up sets are needed. Maybe it's just me, but I'm fine with that.

Keeping Records
I personally don't do this, but part of the routine (if you wish) is to record at the end of each week the total amount of weight you pushed. Once you get back to that week in the cycle, you add up your weight and see if it beats the previous weak. A psychological thing, I guess. I never bothered, because I know my lifts all went up, and I don't need to see how much total weight I'm pushing. An ego booster, to me.

That's pretty much it. The routine is very simple. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them. I was skeptical, but you should really give this routine a shot if you want something new. It's enjoyable for me and friends of mine to use when working out. I guess part of that reason is every week the core lifts rep schemes are changed, and the last time you did that scheme was a month ago, so it's nice to see numbers go up since you've had three weeks since you last did, let's say 3x3, and you're ready to break those old numbers.

ie a"Canned" program

ie something that isn't customised to each person's goals, strengths/weaknesses etc

Your back will get enough from deadlifts and power cleans. Also, no one likes really low reps for rows, because they can be really harsh on the back using such high weight. That's my opinion at least. Your lats don't need that much attention (the chin-ups) so they're auxillary.

CCJ, true it isn't "customized" but it's flexible enough to be. You can select any array of auxillary exercises so one can focus on whatever muscle groups he/she feels are lacking.

IMO deadlifts and powercleans are good for lower back thickness and explosive power, but as far as developing the upper back, dumbell rows, barbell rows and chins seem to work best for me. I have been deadlifting ALOT in the last year and my back/chest spread measures the same, yet my waist size increased. Lower back has definately thickened, but upper back hasnt changed much. The core of my back growth has definately been from the exercises I mentioned. As for strength, deadlifts increased my strength for deadlifting. Didnt really notice and overall thickness on all muscle groups from deadlifting. Traps got a real good response as well.

Top Bottom