Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Arm Wrestling

Caleb's Tree

This has been bugging me for a while. I figured some of you guys run into this now and then.

First off....I don't consider myself a big guy....not even in the least sense....but I hear stuff....like your a big boy etc. when I go into bars.

I'm only 6' weigh around 215-220 depending when I weigh myself....and my arms "cold relaxed not flexed" are 17 inches. Much bigger when they are pumped up though, around 18 and a half to 3/4s.

Anyways.....Since I have gotten back in training, I am now getting challenged to arm wrestling matches. At first it was flattering, but it's become annoying a bit, especially if I go somewhere after I have worked out and showered. I don't feel like arm wrestling. I didn't know where to post this, so I figure it's best to post this here.

I got two questions....

First off.....I think it's a bad idea to arm wrestle on training days....maybe arm wrestling period is just dumb...dunno... :rolleyes:

When you tell some drunk idiot that you don't want to arm wrestle...they act as if you are some kind of chicken or something. If you arm wrestle one guy, inevitably someone else will want to try you next. Well, after a few matches your arm gets tired, then of course the advantage is to the guy with the fresh arm.

It's not that I don't want to arm wrestle....I am concerned about straining something and missing a workout or some workouts, from pulling a stunt that imo, really isn't a display of strength. So question # 1 is what is a good explanation to tell someone when you don't feel like arm wrestling? I'd accomodate some folks if I am on an off day a lot of times, but after a workout, I just am not in the mood, so I need a good excuse that doesn't make me sound like a panzy.

Question # 2. I figure since I get asked to arm wrestle all the time, that I might as well train a little bit for it. Not that I want to be an arm wrestler, but if I get challenged I want to win....of course. What'd be a good exercise to do to build strength for that?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Here's your answer!! 5 days in the hospital and 6 years out of the gym!!! It happened just like you said, someone much smaller than me challenged me and it wasn't because he was strong it was the tork of me slamming his hand down!!!

DON'T DO IT!!!!

DSC06863.jpg

DSC06864.jpg

If I told you not to do it, I'd be a hypocrite. I used to do it in university. I have 4 medals from different gyms back home. You dnt have to have big arms. It's all about brute strength, strategy, technique and stamina.

Google armwrestlingg and you'll find some of the famous techniques and some strategies to train for it. Having strong forearms, shoulders and legs definately help.

Good luck. Be safe. Always stretch and warm up before your matches.

MaGilicuti said:
challenged to arm wrestling? where the hell do you hang out?

I work in Hudson Ohio...but I live in a rural area in Trumbull Co.

It is the biggest hick town ever. I'd be in a bar, and walking to the rest room, and some dude will say....your a big guy, wanna arm wrestle. And you do feel some kind of pressure to accomodate the folks, but I am thinking arm wrestling in general is just a bad idea.

Anyways, I know that there are some professional body builders that visit this site, and a lot of folks dedicated to personal fitness and health. Wanted to see what some of you guys thought. Maybe, I should just ignore these challenges or something. ????

I know most of the folks that challenge me, even some dudes that are taller and outweigh me sometimes by as much as 100 lbs or better, that I am stronger than them, so imo, it's only a feather in their cap if they beat me. If I beat them....it's no big deal, as folks look at me and figure I should beat them. However there is one side benefit that I noticed. In this hick town I live in, some of the hick chicks get really turned on by it. Even will say so directly to you after you whip someone. LOL.

They aren't all toothless and ugly.

Anyways, I occassionally do like to arm wrestle, but lately am thinking it's not a good idea if my goal is to "get bigger" and "stay healthy" while doing so.

Maybe there is a safe way to arm wrestle, like some body said, "warm up and stretch first."

Anyways, I am debating whether or not to do it at all, or if I am to do it, what is the right way.

I am looking for a consensus, or at the very least what is the majority opinion. Maybe I should have done a poll.

I respect a lot of the opinions I get here, and hopefully I'll get some well thought out ones.

Thanks so far for all you guys who cautioned me, or offered advice.

i think most people do it or have done it (mainly whilst drunk), but watching videos like these, it goes to show you dont even have to be strong, neither of those guys looked impressive, but imagine when youve got 210+ guys who can bench 300+lbs doing it, it put me off a bit! there's nothing like a compound radio-ulnar fracture to really fuck your day...

Caleb's Tree said:
Question # 2. I figure since I get asked to arm wrestle all the time, that I might as well train a little bit for it. Not that I want to be an arm wrestler, but if I get challenged I want to win....of course. What'd be a good exercise to do to build strength for that?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Lincoln Hawk did a lot of tricep extensions while driving his truck. That and he turned his hat backwards and always won.

Hey man, you seem to be about the same size as me, and I get a few nobs asking for arms wrestles too.

Deffinatly dont do it before a work out.

I once had one about 5 minutes before a work out. And it lasted about 3 minutes but I gave up coz I couldnt beat him. Then while I was trying some Incline DB press my right arm just kept failing. Big Mistake. My whole workout was ruined coz of this.

Top Bottom