GEORGE SPELLWIN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

Is canned tuna a good source of protein?


Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Is canned tuna a good source of protein? within the Diet & Bodybuilding category.

Excerpt: Hello all! I am thinking about eating about 10 cans of tuna per day (250 or so grams of protein). Is that a good choice or not? anyone knows the answer? Thanks!

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    SSAlexSS
    Guest

    Is canned tuna a good source of protein?

    Hello all!


    I am thinking about eating about 10 cans of tuna per day (250 or so grams of protein). Is that a good choice or not?


    anyone knows the answer?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Elite Bodybuilder jennifer, BFL chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,973
    Rep Power
    0
    Tuna is a good source for protein. I use it ALOT. I'm not an expert, but you should get protein from other sources as well. Never use only 1 type of food for a food group

  3. #3
    manny78
    Guest
    good choice but 10 cans a day ? I used to do it and believe me now I'm tired of eating that shit. Agree with Jennifer BFL try other sources too like chicken, eggs, shakes..... the only problem with Tuna is the sodium so get ready to drink tons of water

  4. #4
    Elite Bodybuilder
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    ELLAS
    Posts
    1,789
    Rep Power
    0
    why would you want to torture yourself like that;although,tuna is an excellent source of protein,you will go apeshit trying to stick to that type of diet.mix it up a lil' to avoid your body getting use to the protein source.just like training variation,diet requires variety as well.enjoy protein sources such as:tuna,chicken,turkey,sirloin steak,egg whites,cottage cheese,fat-free yogourt,skim milk,protein shakes,MRP's,crab-meat,etc...
    you'll actually look forward to eating!!!if you only stick to tuna,you will start dreading your food intake.take it from one who has already tried it...i loved tuna...NOTICE THE WORD "LOVED"...fyi

  5. #5
    Elite Bodybuilder jennifer, BFL chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,973
    Rep Power
    0
    For awhile, I would eat 4-5 chicken breasts a day. I thought I would never get sick of it. THen all of a sudden, I HATED even the word chicken. eating 10 cans a tuna would drive me CRAZY!

  6. #6
    Good Broly
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally posted by manny78
    the only problem with Tuna is the sodium so get ready to drink tons of water
    Are you bulking/cutting? Feel free to throw in steak if you're adding mass. Hamburger on the grill, etc.

    I'd go nuts eating one source. I eat tuna & salmon - but it's just so I still appreciate chicken from time to time.

    Anyone ever mix their tuna in with flax seed oil?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Tuna is the bomb for cutting, although you'll notice very quickly that you'll be quite hungry within an hour of having a can. Mix it with a tablespoon of flaxseed oil (or Udo's oil, if it's available) and salad and tomatoes (if you're not too anal about carbs). Depending on what type of tuna you use, how many vegetables, etc., this should be a 300-350kcal meal.

    Another combo you might want to try is raw chopped spinach and grilled chicken breast. Low in fat, high in protein, but beware the spinach: although it's high in fiber it WILL cause constipation because of the iron if you don't limit your intake.

    Also don't forget to eat legumes around 3 times a week if you're not limiting carb intake too much.

    I found that when cutting, it's best to avoid grains and starchy and simple carbohydrates. Carbohydrates obtained from vegetables and legumes shouldn't be avoided too much if you care for your health.

    Stay away from red meat when cutting, though, as even "extra super lean" meat is too high in saturated fats to be considered a healthy source of protein.

    Also, you may want to have egg white omelettes with "Yves Veggie Dogs" if you're getting bored of just eating meat. Very high in protein and low in carbs.

  8. #8
    Pro Bodybuilder flex4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    on the versa climber
    Posts
    641
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is canned tuna a good source of protein?

    mixed w/ hard boiled egg & Udo's oil- not bad
    draining it first will eliminate lots of sodium

  9. #9
    SSAlexSS
    Guest
    Originally posted by da big thinker
    why would you want to torture yourself like that;although,tuna is an excellent source of protein,you will go apeshit trying to stick to that type of diet.mix it up a lil' to avoid your body getting use to the protein source.just like training variation,diet requires variety as well.enjoy protein sources such as:tuna,chicken,turkey,sirloin steak,egg whites,cottage cheese,fat-free yogourt,skim milk,protein shakes,MRP's,crab-meat,etc...
    you'll actually look forward to eating!!!if you only stick to tuna,you will start dreading your food intake.take it from one who has already tried it...i loved tuna...NOTICE THE WORD "LOVED"...fyi

    But I can atleast calculate the amount of protein I am eating. And it has the best ratio of protein. No carbs and 0.1 gram of fat or so.

  10. #10
    SSAlexSS
    Guest
    Originally posted by natasan


    Are you bulking/cutting? Feel free to throw in steak if you're adding mass. Hamburger on the grill, etc.

    I'd go nuts eating one source. I eat tuna & salmon - but it's just so I still appreciate chicken from time to time.

    Anyone ever mix their tuna in with flax seed oil?

    BULKING!@!!!!


    Everyone BOW TO ALMIGHTY PROTEIN!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. EZ-Recipe to make canned tuna GOOD!
    By AZMUSCLE in forum Diet & Bodybuilding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Feb-2008, 03:00 PM
  2. canned chicken is 100 times better than canned tuna
    By nimbus in forum Diet & Bodybuilding
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2007, 10:51 PM
  3. Canned Tuna
    By wootoom in forum Diet & Bodybuilding
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2004, 10:23 PM
  4. Which Is A Better Source Of Protein, Tuna Or Sardines?
    By JUICESEEKER in forum Diet & Bodybuilding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2002, 09:16 PM
  5. Canned Tuna....
    By AGENT SHAGWELL in forum Diet & Bodybuilding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2001, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •