Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what causes ketosis in the ckd???

emmab

I have read a bit about this diet and am wondering what aspect of it puts the body into ketosis? Is it the high fat or the lack of carbs? If it is just the lack of carbs, couldn't you achieve the same with a high protein low fat diet. It's just that a high fat diet freaks me out!!!

no, a high protein diet wouldn't do the same because protein is more or less expensive carbs
if you take in too much of it your body will convert it to glucose (sp?) and you'r out of ketosis
that's why you have to be carefull with whey protein for instance when being on a keto diet because it's easily converted into glucose

------------------
true love - hardcore

ketossis is when your body is depleated of carbs aka glucose,then your brain begins to use the stored fat for fuel.fats wont make you fat,to many calories make you fat.ketossis diets work but you have to be verry carefull and do the carb up right or you will lose muscle.

its the low carbs that causes ketosis... but high protein and no fat won't let you get into ketosis... since your body needs something else other than carbs to burn for fuel it looks for fats...

the ingested fats that you eat tells your body that it should consider that an alternative to carbs and then your body realizes it can use the stored fat as well... eat fat... its not bad for you on this diet!

The low carbs causes your body to produce ketones. When you are producing ketones your body is said to be in ketosis. Ketones are used by the brain as fuel instead of carbs.

True, a lack of carbs causes a decrease in glucose, a decrease in glucose causes your body to look for some other fuel (fat). True protien can convert to glucose. But that don't mean it will. I was doing the low carb and high protien with moderate to low fat and my little ketostix turned purple every time. People on here told me I needed to add some fat to my plan, I did, and I must say the results have been positive. But to say you have to have 70% fat and 30% protien to get into ketosis is pure crapola. I would imagine that I've been doin about a 50/50 since I uped my fat. The way I uped my fat was to cut out some of my tunafish and added fish oil caps and flaxseed oil. I might would lose faster if I were to go to 70/30 but I feel I am spareing more muscle with the 50/50.

:) :D

Ketosis is simply the point where your body starts to use fats (ketones) as fuel instead of carbs. Thats it. Ketones are always present in the body, even when you are not in ketosis. Likewise, there will always be levels of carbs present in the body even when ketosis has been established.
MR. BMJ

yes ketones are always present but in very low numbers... its when your body burns its own fat for fuel that it releases larger amounts of ketones... thus why people pee on ketostix to see if they are in ketosis

Hey guys,

I think that you are a little confused about the whole process of ketosis. Have you ever heard the expression "fat is burned in a carbohydrate flame"? Well this in fact is true. You see, to copletely mobolize(burn) fats, a small amount of carbohydrates are needed for the process. When not enough carbs are consumed in the diet, Ketones or ketone bodies are formed. The ketone bodies are actually incompletely burned fat molecules...a wastproduct caused by the lack of carbohydrates. These ketones can be harmful to the body. This is why many bodybuilders (such as Arnold) suggest that you should limit your carbs to stay JUST out of ketosis on a low carb diet. You guys probably think that I'm full of shit, but that's what I learned in my nutrition class the other day...I'll take the textbook's word for it.

Top Bottom