Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PowerClean/Jerk

SANDMAN5150

I am an avid Powerlifter/Bodybuilder I stand 5'8" 245#'s and workout one bodypart per day on a routine spilt of 3-on 1-off/2-on 1-off.
now besides the Nutrition,Rest,Supplementing venue which I have exhausted and just stuck to the Basic Protein/Carbs powders, Aminos, beef liver tabs, multivitamin, and the ever infamous creatine and good wholesome food and the consumption of food every 3-4 hours I am trying to excel in one lift particularly THE CLEAN AND JERK I am stuck at 235 and cannot move up I do this movement every other wed. I squat and Dealift every Sat. I squat 585 for 6 reps and (A squat that would be rated a B- which means I do not go to the basement I do not want to be compared to Jennifer Lopez / Dealift 585 for 5 reps now my Bench is week I can only Bench 315 for 2 reps GO Figure!!!!!!!!!! But my question is how can I increase my PowerCLEANS Thanks for your assistance Brothers...................

Great numbers. I had to work out with a pro to learn how to clean. My suggestion is to go over to the ironmind site, and invest in some of the world championships training hall tapes. They have all the greats on them, Weller, Suleymonoglu, Botev, etc. Do just like these guys do, and you'll get a good cj.

Wow 585x5 on the squat now that is friggin amazing.....i find that very impressive if true...now i only squat 600 for a one rep max...however i am very explosive and have powercleaned from the floor 350...i must say a combo of rack cleans dead lifts and power shrugs have helped as well as plyometrics...what is your current squat routine i need to get my legs stronger!!!

There may be a correlation between your "weak" bench,and your sticking point with your power cleans.Everyone is different,but it may be that you need to focus on the accessory muscles-the delts,the traps,the lats.I found that breaking the power cleans(or clean and jerks) into their components help me.Work on the first pull,then high pulls,etc...gradually increasing your weight.Maybe switch your training around a bit.It sounds to me like you have a pretty set routine,and perhaps your muscles have acclimated to doing bench on wed,squat on thur,etc.Just a thought. :cool:

EXCUSE THE DELAY, MY ROUTINE IS DONE ONCE A WEEK WE HOLD "MASS" ON SATURDAY MORNINGS @ 7:00 A.M. NO ONE IS AT THE GYM AND THERE ARE NO SCIENTIST TO CRITIQUE OR WALK UP TO US AND SAY HOW MUCH IS THAT?:

STRETCH:

FRONT SQUAT: @ 135 @ 2 SETS @ 15-20 REPS
225 @ 2 SETS @ 12-15
315@ 2 SETS 8-10 REPS
405 @ 2 SETS 6-8 REPS
495 @ 2 SETS 1-2 REPS (1/4 SQUAT FOR THIS WEIGHT AND NOT A WEK 1/4 SQUAT THE KIND WHERE MY PARTNER HAS TO CRADLE BE FROM BEHIND TO GET PAST THE STICKING POINT)

AFTER THIS WE GO TO REGULAR SQUATS

585 @ 2 SETS 4-6 REPS

*675 @ 2 SETS 2-4 REPS

*765 @ 1 SET @ 1 REP WITH WRAPS AND A VERY AWESOME SPOT FROM MY PARTNER

*THESE #'S ARE ALWAYS DONE EVERY OTHER WEEK

AFTER THIS WE GO TO CALVES, AND THEN WE FINISH BY DOING STIF LEGGED DEADLIFTS FOLLOWED BY DEADLIFTS WE WORK ARE WAY UP TO 495#'S ON DLIFT FOR 4 REPS.

I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL CALL ME A LIAR AND OTHER NAMES BUT HEY, IF I HAVE SOME OF THE REAL BIG GUYS AT THE GYM AND I AM TALKING MASSIVE WALKING LAB RATS GUVE ME AND MY PARNTER A THUMBS UP AND NOD WITH APPROVAL THEN HEY I MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT AND I AM STILL DOING RESEARCH ON STARTING A CYCLE. GET YOUR LIFT ON BROTHERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like technique issue. Check websites for US Olympic Lifting and see if you can't find a coach to help you. If you live near a university or major college try the strength coach. Very few people are good at this lift so get real training as it is worth it.

From description it sounds like you lack (besides technique) explosion in your 2nd pull. Power shrugs are excellent for this.

Leg strength doesn't seem to be an issue but you should really go down until the top of your thighs are parallel to the floor. Why squat any other way?

YOU HAVE A POINT ON THE SQUATTING I JUST THINK THAT BY AT LEAST DOING 1/2 SQUATS THAT WOULD PROVIDE SOME SORT OF STATIC HOLD TO FAMILIARIZE MY BODY WITH THE WEIGHT THAT IS IT NOT ACCUSTOMED TOO, ALSO I TRY TO SQUAT THAT WEIGHT EVEN AT 1/2 UNTIL FAILURE AND I EMPHASIZE TILL FAILURE

THANKS THOUGH YOU HAVE A POINT ALOT OF PEOPLE SEE AT AS AN EGO MOST COMMEND ME I REALLY DON'T CARE BUT I AM ALWAYS SAFE ABOUT MY LIFTS.

THIS IS GOING TO SOUND STUPID WHAT IS A POWER SHRUG? .....DON'T LAUGH I BELIEVE IN STRICT FORM PEOPLE SAY THAT IT IS BAD.... ANYWAY WHAT IS IT?

I agree with madcow. I dont believe that it is a question of strength I think it is more technique related. I have seen many weak people out pc stronger ones with form and quickness. Technique is not really something that can be told it has to be shown, but explosiveness and quickness can be obtained through practice with minimum weight. I overcame a many of barrior with speed and tecnique as opposed to brute strength. if you have those tools, theoretically if you can shrug it, you can clean it, but as with most things it is easier said than done.

Power Shrug - top half of a high pull. Utilize straps and pull from knee level to full extension. But don't clean - just a shrug. Practice exploding by driving the hips forward and shruging high at the top. Start with reps in the 10-15 range as you need technique and explosion. It also is great to build strength but for you this shouldn't be a focus at this point. Just set the weight and accelerate like a madman. Great for trap development - way better than conventional shrugs which just don't stimulate much strength and growth.

Squat - getting accustomed to a weight by not going to parallel should be a brief thing and done very infrequently. Go to parallel. Hip strength is a major factor in Powerclean and all other lifts.

Good Luck:)

Top Bottom