Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Raw Egg question

98WS6

I know alot of people drink raw eggs as opposed to eating them becuase it is alot quicker and less hassle then cooking them. I tried one last night and it actually tasted good. I was going to go to pathmark to get some pasturized eggs so i don't risk getting salmonela (sp). My question is how many eggs should i drink at a time for it to benefit me protein and calorie wise, and should i mix it or just crack it in a cup and drink it plain?

I don't know if pasteurization has any effect, but cooking the egg is needed to make all the protein available for assimilation.

StrongChE said:
I don't know if pasteurization has any effect, but cooking the egg is needed to make all the protein available for assimilation.

really??? news to me...

does the same apply for raw fish then??

Hmmm. If you eat too many raw eggs you can lose biotin, so you may need to supplement. Cooking eggs denatures the protein (this is needed for digestion), but they will also denature in stomach acid (so you save 1 step by cooking). As for how many, same as you would if you were to cook them. For me, I eat 4 egg white and 2 whole eggs per time (I cook mine). It doesn't matter if you mix them or not before drinking.

Avidin in the eggs causes the loss of biotin. The protein needs to be denatured to make free form amino acids. Will your stomach digestion denature the protein completely? Or will you lose a percentage? Eating the egg raw though is the more allergenic form.

Your stomach will denature all of it. I'm going to guess that if you ate an entire dozen or so you might lose some, but even then I doubt it. Personally I wouldn't do it just because of the samonela risk.

I dont cook eggs, Ive been blending them raw in a blender for a few years now with no salmonella. I do this every day just about.

superdave - you are crazy guy, but you will learn, it only has to happen to you once and you'll poop out your bowels and almost die, and then you will not do it again, ya know?

Top Bottom