Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

WHY THE #*?!#*#?! CAN'T PEOPLE AGREE!!!!!

emmab

I have been trying to get advice on what to take post-workout, and now all I am is confused!!!!!
I have had answers ranging from no carbs and lots of protein, to 100g carbs and 50g protein!!! I am a 50kg female with 23%bf, so everyone can't be right!!!
BTW these opinions were from people in gyms here, not just this board.
Any idea on why there is so much diversity among opinions, and WHO IS BLOODY WELL RIGHT!!!!!!!

This is what i do,im not saying if its right or wrong. I take 8oz grape juice with 50-75 grams of dextrose powder. Then ill either have 50 grams of whey right after or within 30 minutes after the carbs, sometimes i i have half the carbs by themselves then half with protein. I would like to know how many grams of carbs your suppose to take after a workout and if it matters how u workout that determines how much etc,and if taking too much can be detrimental?

The point is to spike insulin. You need high glycemic carbs(sugar most of the -ose, like glucose, dextrose) and some fast absorption protein like whey and egg whites. It should be in liquid form and it needs to be low fat.

People will give you number like 100g of carbs, because that's what they use. Some people just don't consider the person's needs when giving advice. IMO, at 50kgs, 40-60g of carbs and 20-30g of protein should be fine.

I'll second BigAndy's recommendation. The reason people can't agree is because this area of nutrition is as much an area of opinion as hard science. Bodybuilders are not your 'normal John Smith', and there is still little conclusive research in this area. The one thing that is clear is that IF YOU TRAIN HEAVY and to near exhaustion, then your muscles will respond very well to post workout carbs at around 1-1.5 grams per kilo, and easily absorbed protein at half that amount. Unfortunatley in my experience, I see very few people at my gym that train this way, yet many of them still slug down a high sugar drink post-workout. If you're training lightly, high reps, pump classes or cardio, then it is not necessarily a good idea to take in a lot of sugar, especially in the evening close to bedtime. But if you're going all out with your weights then I think you should keep the post workout carbs.

I think BigAndy gave some good advice. I would tend to agree with his numbers for your stats too.

I've been lifting weights for 20 years and one thing you gotta learn fast- noone is ever right when it comes to what works for you-you get a consensus from the group and go thru trial and error like the rest of us. Anyone who tells you"this is the only way and the right way" is full of shit,because what works great for one guy only works OK for another. So if you're looking for 20 guys to tell you one answer as the Gods honest truth you're outta luck. It'll never happen. See what works best for you by trying things out.

1 packet of Met-Rx mixed with fruit juice. You're only 110lbs. Go to bed and wake up to protein. If you want, add Flax seed oil to the shake.

Immediately following any intense anaerobic exercise (hard weight training), blood cortisol levels will be high. Cortisol is a stress hormone and it is exremely catabolic. Insulin blunts the effects of the heightened cortisol. Downing simple sugars immediatley after your workout is the best way to spike insulin levels plus, glycogen levels may be low from training. This would be the only time during the day that it's advisable to take in sugars when trying to lean up. Even the pros will down some simple sugars directly after working out when cutting.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

bump if anyone else has any guidelines

------------------
God give me the strength to lift all I can, the humility to accept what I can't lift, the wisdom to know the difference, and the determination to close the gap!!!

Top Bottom