Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bodybuilding = Narcissism & latent homosexual tendencies?

Why is there even any question about this in the first place? Either you a homo or you ain't homo! That's all there is to it. If you need to reassure yourself repeatedly that you are not a homo
then you probably are.
:FRlol: :( :bawling:

Re: Narcissism

taoseeker said:
I would not condemn psychology for this crap. This comes out of Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis. A fictional explanatory model that has no research findings to support any of its assertions. Psychiatry is practiced by medical doctors. They get a 3 month psychiatric residency during their medical training.

I like the rest of your post, but 3 months? Dude, you're WAY off; it's 3 YEARS.

Buffdoc

When I was working in Psychiatry in the early 70s, the Emory School of Medicine put all of its residents through an obligatory 3 month psychiatry experience. I was working at a very advanced teaching institute (The Georgia Mental Health Institute) where all disciplines - doctors, physical therapist, psychology residents, psychiatric nurses (I was married to one), chaplins, sociologist were all brought together to design treatment plans.

It was great fun. The physicians in training eschewed the psychiatric part of their schedule and everyone knew that the doctors that chose that as a profession were "adaptively disadvantaged" and had their own problems.

I think the training you are talking about was after one decided to be a psychiatrist (at that time) you had to start therapy yourself and spend a few years under the supervision of a certified psychiatrist. Psychoanalyst had a much deeper, longer route to follow.

I may, however be confused. It was 30 years ago. Things have changed mightly. Now Clinical Psychologist can write perscriptions for anti-depressants - even Thorazine.

I don't care how long ago it was, there was NEVER a residency in ANY medical field that lasted only 3 months!!! Residencies suck serious ass - 60-70 hours/week, less than 40k/year (when you are already 100k in debt), and constant scrutiny from your peers (who are your superiors at this point).

Alot of what you say seems backwards. Psychoanalysis was Freud's brainchild and that clown was most definately a psychologist. Psychiatry is concerned with the neurobiological aspect of mental disease, not the "represed latent feelings" crap that modern psychology frequently eschews. Psychology is at best a pseudoscience.

Also I feel it is a HUGE mistake that certain states are giving clinical psychologists prescribing rights. Its bad enough that GPs hand out SSRIs like a bank does lollipops. Luckily the DEA has maintained its refusal to grant psychologists the right to prescribe scheduled medications.

Icelandic

You are quite right icelandic. In my aged decrepitude I used the term residency for what was really a three month course in psychiatry.

Part of that course included work in applied settings. Ergo, I ran into a lot of them. I find it interesting that you refer to Psychology as a pseudoscience.

Medical doctors were having limited success with the autistic and retarded children. Applied Behavior Analysts, using research based principles of behavior management, were successful to the extent that almost all the treatment for the autistic is performed by them.

Having said that, I believe that the ultimate answers will be uncovered within the field of neurobiology. I think most of our dysfunctionality is hardwired, not learned as behavioral psychologist assert.

"We are learning that women are probably more intelligent, capable and moral than men and we will probably have a saner world when they have more authority."

:rolleyes: You gotta be fucking kidding me LOL

I believe that the ultimate answers will be uncovered within the field of neurobiology. I think most of our dysfunctionality is hardwired, not learned as behavioral psychologist assert.

The neurobiological basis of mental disease is a basic tenet of psychiatry. There are already tremendous strides being made in the field of neurology with SPECT imaging proving, beyond any doubt, that each mental disease is caused (or strongly influenced) by neural circuitry problems in the specific sections of the brain.

I refer to psychology as a pseudoscience mostly becuase the discipline refuses to acknowledge this neurobiological basis for many mental disorders despite the mountain of hard evidence pointing in that direction. Instead, they beat around the bush by telling patients to "explore repressed memories" and other blatent nonsense. Remember the repressed memory/ sexual abuse fiasco a few years ago? Dozens of innocent people had their lives completely and permanently destroyed by a few psychoanalytic charlatans. This theory alone has seriously discredited the discipline in my opinion.

I didn't mean to start a pyschological debate here. My God! You would think this mesage board is filled with MD's.

I think we all need to realize that it doesn't take much credentials to get an article publishd. Psychology is a perfectly valid science. I certainly believe our actions are governed by both the cause and effect side resulting from our experienced as children, as well as from the neurological side of things. But the fact of the matter is, there are lots of people who have no idea what they are talking about in every field.

For example, I majored in physics in college. I recently read an article in an engineering magaizine from some guy with a PhD. His article was trying to say that SUV's are LESS likely to tip. Now lets all use a little common sense. The taller the vehicle and the narroer the wheel base the more likely it is to tip right? Anyone who has ever driven an SUV knows its way easier to tip than a sports car. He used some math to explain it, but conveniently left out some major rules (like gravity and friction). At the end of the article he starts a rant about how SUV's are safer and he hates environmentalists who criticize them. So he basically fabricated this article, so he could put his 2 cents in. Because yes, without gravity or friction an SUV is less likely to tip because its bigger. Basically anything can get published regardless of how stupid it is. That's exactly what this psychology article was.

Here's some real psychology for you: Some guy's girlfriend left him for a bodybuilder or marine. He felt inadequate, jealous, and resentful, he probably is genetically pre-disposed towards nSync, and can barely bench the bar. So to make himself feel better (subconsciously of course) he came up with this theory that any man who bonds with other males, bodybuilds, is in the army, or is a football player is gay and has various psycological problems. By publishing it he makes himself feel a lot more manly, and a lot less of a pussy. How's that for psychology. Cheers to the bodybuilder who is banging that guy's girlfriend.

Last edited:
Shogun said:
"We are learning that women are probably more intelligent, capable and moral than men and we will probably have a saner world when they have more authority."

:rolleyes: You gotta be fucking kidding me LOL

Without exaggeration and in all sincerity, that is truly one of the most untrue statements I have ever seen. The statement discredits itself with it's generalization.

Top Bottom