Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

anyone have Modafinil / Adrafinil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henderob

Has anyone tried modafinil for fatigue? I'd like to give it a shot. modafinil / adrafinil are not scheduled as far as I know. I'm looking for sources. Is there a cheap generic available? modafinil is extremely expensive.

"...modafinil ('Provigil') is a memory-improving and mood-brightening psychostimulant. It enhances wakefulness and vigilance, but its pharmacological profile is notably different from the amphetamines, methylphenidate (Ritalin) or cocaine. Modafinil is less likely to cause jitteriness, anxiety, or excess locomotor activity - or lead to a hypersomnolent 'rebound effect' - than traditional stimulants. Subjectively, it feels smoother and cleaner than the amphetamines too. The normal elimination half-life of modafinil in humans is between 12 - 15 hours. So it's worth fine-tuning one's dosage schedule accordingly.

Current research suggests modafinil, like its older and better-tested analogue adrafinil, is a safe, effective and well-tolerated agent. It is long-acting and doesn't tend to cause peripheral sympathetic stimulation. Yet its CNS action isn't fully understood. Modafinil induces wakefulness in part by its action in the anterior hypothalamus. Its dopamine-releasing action in the nucleus accumbens is weak and dose-dependent; the likelihood of a euphoric response ('abuse potential'), dose-escalation and tolerance is thus apparently small. Modafinil has central alpha 1-adrenergic agonist effects i.e. it directly stimulates the receptors. Modafinil inhibits the reuptake of noradrenaline by the noradrenergic terminals on sleep-promoting neurons of ventrolateral preoptic nucleus (VLPO). More significant, perhaps, is its ability to increase excitatory glutamatergic transmission. This reduces local GABAergic transmission, thereby diminishing GABA(A) receptor signalling on the mesolimbic dopamine terminals.

Modafinil is proving clinically useful in the treatment of narcolepsy, a neurological disorder marked by uncontrollable attacks of daytime sleepiness. Narcolepsy is caused by dysfunction of a family of wakefulness-promoting and sleep-suppressing peptides, the orexins. Orexin neurons are activated by modafinil. Orexinergic neurons are found exclusively in the lateral hypothalamic area, but their fibers project to the entire central nervous system. Genetically modified orexin-knockout animals offer a model of human narcolepsy. Selective orexin receptor agonists of the future may prove useful both to narcoleptics and the population at large.

Experimentally, modafinil is also used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, depression, attention-deficit disorder, myotonic dystrophy, multiple sclerosis-induced fatigue, post-anaesthesia grogginess, cognitive impairment in schizophrenia, age-related memory decline, idiopathic hypersomnia, jet-lag, and everyday cat-napping. In September 2003, an advisory panel to the FDA endorsed its use for treating shift work sleep disorder and obstructive sleep apnea.

The US military are interested in modafinil too.

Modafanil is marketed as 'Alertec" in Canada - and over the Net. 'Altertec' is less expensive than 'Provigil'. Cheap generic modafinil should be available from 2006. But Cephalon is vigorously litigating to defend its patents.

Modafinil is increasingly used as a 'lifestyle drug' - a lucrative 'off-label' market its makers have not been unduly keen to discourage. Some prescribing physicians have reportedly been surprised at a previously hidden epidemic of narcolepsy among hard-working young professionals attending their surgeries.

Prudence, however, should be exercised in drastically curtailing one's sleep. Prolonged sleeplessness weakens immune function. Animals tortured in sleep-deprivation experiments eventually die from massive bacterial infections of the blood..."

henderob said:
Has anyone tried modafinil for fatigue? I'd like to give it a shot. modafinil / adrafinil are not scheduled as far as I know. I'm looking for sources. Is there a cheap generic available? modafinil is extremely expensive.

They are scheduled.

there will be a cheap, generic version of Modafinil available soon from Barr Pharma and Ranbaxy Pharma early 2005. Although Barr Pharma is currently in litigation process with Cephalon (manufacturer and pt holder for modafinil) which should be settled by 2005.

Modafinil is schedule 4, Adrafinil is unscheduled and unlicensed in the U.S. but can be cheaply and easily ordered over the net. I have experience with both and while I found that both enhanced my mental energy and concentration I had side effects that I did not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom